There's been a lot of focus on immunity and staying well at present and rightly so, due to being in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic.
Wearing a mask, practising good hygiene, maintaining social distancing and staying home have been recommended ways to reduce the risk of catching or passing on Coronavirus.
But are there any other measures we can undertake to ensure our immune system remains as healthy as it can be to fight infection of the virus?
Let's find out how Matcha Green Tea can boost your immunity naturally.
- Firstly, a HUGE amount of antioxidants, over 100 times of that found in regular green tea (137 to be specific ). The tea leaves that eventually make Matcha are shade cloth grown before harvesting and this means the chlorophyll production is amplified leading to increased antioxidant content too. It contains more antioxidants than Blueberries , Broccoli, Dark chocolate ,Spinach and Walnuts.
- It contains a special plant based compound called Epigallocatechin Gallate (or EGCG for short) which helps build strong immunity against pathogens (i.e. virus or bacteria)
- Matcha also helps with production of T cells in your body that reduce inflammation and also fight pathogens.
- Matcha is also very detoxifying, helping with eradication of chemicals, toxins and heavy metals. This means you’re (once again) better equipped to fight off pathogens 🦠
- When you drink Matcha as you’re consuming the entire tea leaf 🍃, you are reaping all these benefits, as opposed to brewing and discarding regular green tea leaves.
- Matcha also has many Vitamins including A, B, C (widely known for it's immune boosting properties) , E and K.
We have come across recent research being undertaken about the effectiveness of Green Tea, specifically Matcha when fighting against Covid-19.
A specific study (link below) conducted in March 2020 to see what dietary molecules could possibly break down the proteins of Covid-19.
(Note: The below gets a bit scientific but stay with us!)
18 bioactive dietary molecules were screened by this particular study against proteins of Covid-19 (Strain: SARS-CoV-2).
EGCG (Epigallocatechin gallate) a plant based catechin found in Matcha exhibited the strongest molecular interactions within pockets at active sites of all the proteins of SARS-CoV–2 which were taken under this study.
EGCG was also far more active than the standard drugs Remdesvir and Chloroquine.
Therefore, in the study it is suggested that EGCG could be a potential inhibitor of Covid-19. However, further research is needed to investigate the mechanism and mode of action of these phytochemicals in future.
In a nutshell, EGCG is known to have antiviral properties and is found in high doses in Matcha Green Tea. In fact, it is found in highest concentrations in Matcha than anywhere else in nature.
For further details of the research summarised above, you can read more here
To make the most of these powerful plant catechins:
- Daily matcha is recommended for the greatest reward from these long-held properties. It’s the finest source for some of nature’s key health compounds, many that are unlikely or impossible to find nutritionally. Also, unlike brewed green tea, with matcha the whole leaf is also consumed as a fine powder, allowing these compounds an ample absorption.
- In the pursuit of long-term benefits, it’s recommended to minimize milk additives. The natural milk protein, casein, affinitively binds to catechins and adversely limits their therapeutic range. In at least one study, green tea without milk also demonstrated an improved arterial relaxation and blood flow. Plant based milks would be a better choice but drinking with just hot water gives maximum benefit.
For some self-care that’s going to also help your body stay healthy, Matcha can help keep you fighting fit. 💪
Want to get started with improving your Immunity with Matcha?
Shop our range of Matcha Green Tea Powders HERE
Feel free to check out below video for some more information from us on why Matcha is great for your immune system.
View this post on Instagram